14:41 h / 2022/07/28
Global Licensing Industry Study, conducted by Brandar Consulting, and sponsored by Amazon, captures the size and state of the licensing industry and highlights growth of licensed products over the two-year period from 2019 to 2021.
Insights from the report show how several pandemic trends continue to shape consumer behavior and impact the global licensing industry at large, including:
- Consumers, retailers and licensees faced with a scarcity of new entertainment content amidst pandemic-related production shutdowns.
- After suffering significant disruptions due to COVID, the sports industry saw a rebound in 2021, growing 8% since 2019.
- Name, image and likeness agreements for college athletes became a reality, contributing to a growth in sports licensing opportunities as the collegiate category grew 18.6%.
- The publishing category was up 20.1% as consumers turned to leisure reading for entertainment and mental well-being.
- Licensed sales in the health and beauty category grew 6.1%.
- 34% of global licensed sales happened online (up from 22% in 2019).
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policies became table stakes for companies, as Millennial and Gen Z consumers demand both sustainability and diversity initiatives from brands and products.
This theme also contributed to growth in the non-profit sector (up 8.4%) as consumers supported museums, churches, charities and special interest organizations aligning with their values.